Shocking or superchlorination
When you shock your pool you use the process of oxidation to chemically remove (burn up) organic debris, such as body waste, particulate matter, and perspiration, from the water. All pools require a shock treatment on a regular basis to maintain optimum water quality. If you are using chlorine only to maintain your pool, routine shocking the water every 1 to 2 weeks will greatly increase the water quality of your pool. In addition to oxidizing undesired wastes – shocking will help rid the pool of algae and bacteria that might be hiding in filters and hard-to-sanitize areas. Pools using a Nature² system do not need to routinely shock, but should shock as needed; at the first signs of cloudy water or when the pool is heavily used.
Contrary to what most people think, a strong chlorine smell is not an indication of too much chlorine in the pool but actually a red flag that a super dose may be required to correct the problem. In chlorine-treated pools shocking can be achieved by superchlorination (adding a much higher chlorine amount than normal). Hypochlorous acid is the form of chlorine that provides sanitation. Hypochlorous acid is very active and will react with ammonia and other nitrogen-containing organic compounds (i.e., perspiration, urine, etc.) and form chloramines. This “combined chlorine” is 40 to 60 times less effective than free available chlorine. Combined chlorine, in addition to reduced effectiveness against bacteria, can cause eye irritation and so-called “chlorine odor.” This may also result in a dull or flat look to your pool. A properly balanced and chlorinated pool will have no discernible odor.
When to shock
Pools using a Nature² sanitizer on their pool do not need to routinely shock weekly, but should shock as needed; at the first signs of cloudy water or when the pool is heavily used.
|Every 2 weeks:||When the temperatures are 80° F or below|
|Weekly:||When the temperatures are above 80° F
Heavy bather load (after the pool party!)
|As needed:||At the first signs of visible algae (slippery walls or floor)
Cloudy water (check water balance as well)
Heavy rains or storms (increase organic debris in water)
It is most effective to shock in the evening as chlorine shock dissipates very rapidly in sunlight. When using Nature’s Way Super Shock you may experience a very high chlorine reading (10 ppm or higher). You must allow the Free Chlorine level to drop back down to a safe range of 3 ppm or lower before re-entering the pool. This could take up to 24 hours, so plan according when superchlorinating or use Nature’s Way Oxy Shock if the pool will need to be in use sooner.
What to use
Nature’s Way Super Shock our concentrated formula allows you to add 1 lb per 16,500 gallons of pool water. DO NOT store partial bags, round up if needed when dosing and use a full bag. Nature’s Way Oxy Shock doses at a rate of 1 lb per 10,000 gallons of water. Oxy Shock is a non-chlorine shock that can be added directly to the pool without pre-dissolving and allows you to resume swimming in 15 minutes. This is a very convenient method of shocking and is an excellent choice for water clarity issues. It is NOT, however, the best choice for algae treatment as will oxidize but not sanitize (kill disease) in the water.